How to Prepare for Your Surgery at Hunt Regional
If you are scheduled for surgery, please follow the pre-op instructions below to prepare for your procedure.
Before your surgery:
- If for any reason you cannot keep your appointment for surgery notify your doctor.
- If it is after office hours and you are unable to notify the doctor, call 903-408-1288. This number is answered between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- You MUST have an adult with you to drive you home. Your procedure may be cancelled if you don't have a ride.
- Arrange to have someone stay with you the night after your procedure.
Day of surgery:
- Nothing to eat or drink after midnight. This includes water, chewing gum and mints.
- You may brush your teeth and rinse your mouth.
- If you have been told to take any medications, especially heart and blood pressure medications, take them with a sip of water.
Bring to the hospital:
- Cases for:
- Contact lenses
- Hearing aids
- Bottles and diapers for babies
- Children should bring their favorite comfort items, such as:
- Stuffed toys
Leave at home:
- Credit cards
Do not apply and, if possible, remove:
- Nail polish
- Hair spray
- In order to protect patient privacy and confidentiality we must restrict the flow of unauthorized persons into patient care areas.
- From the waiting room, the patient enters a surgical pre-op prep area. After the patient is prepped for his/her procedure, the family will be allowed to wait with them. We request this be limited to 1 or 2 adult family members.
- Post-Op: When the nursing staff has determined that the patient is stable, the nurse will allow a family member to come back to the post-op area to remain with the patient until they are ready for discharge home. This should be the person responsible for taking the patient home and caring for them there. Again, we request this be limited to 1 or 2 adult family members.
- No visitors under the age of 13 are allowed past the waiting room.