FitSTEPS for Life® is a free fitness and counseling program designed for cancer survivors and patients currently undergoing cancer treatment
Developed by retired oncologist Dr. Gary Kimmel, the program addresses each individual’s specific needs to help improve their quality of life and survival rate. Research shows that patients can improve their survival rates by as much as 50% by exercising during and after cancer treatment.
Who Can Use FitSTEPS for Life®?
• Patients currently undergoing treatment for cancer
• Cancer survivors
• Requires recommendation from a licensed, practicing physician
FitSTEPS for Life® begins with the patient’s initial assessment:
• Vital statistics
• Assessment of the physical needs of the patient
The trainer will develop an exercise program based on the assessment, including individual training until the patient is ready to exercise independently.
How FitSTEPS for Life® Works
• Physical conditioning using low-impact equipment
• Cardiovascular, strength & stretching exercises
• Use of lightweight dumbbells, stretch bands, stability ball, treadmill
• Dietary counseling
• Psychological support
• Spiritual support
How FitSTEPS for Life® Helps
• Improves muscle tone, strength, endurance and resistance to chronic disease
• Helps enhance independence
• Reduces side effects that may result from chemotherapy
• Increased energy, less fatigue
• Reduces bone marrow suppression
• Reduces risk of infection
• Helps prevent and deal with depression
Contact the FitSTEPS for Life® Center
The FitSTEPS for Life® Center is in the Fitness Center at Hunt Regional Medical Center in Greenville, Texas, located just inside the rear parking lot entrance. A changing room is available in the Fitness Center for use by FitSTEPS for Life® participants.
Monday-Friday 9 a.m.-2p.m.
The FitSTEPS for Life® Center
2nd Floor Medical Pavilion
Hunt Regional Medical Center